Thursday, July 7, 2016

July 7...While we loved our time in Grafton for a variety of reasons, we were trapped in what we began to call cell phone and internet HELL. Seems to be the only place where our Verison coverage was a challenge. AT&T is the service of choice in that area and every one else suffers big time. We were no exception. We could rarely make and receive phone calls...texts usually went through...and internet was practically nonexistent.  So here's what happened while we were off line...

I made it to Wichita and back safely...My mission to find suitable mother of the groom attire was successful...rehearsal dinner is in the making...Muriel made a great carrot cake for me to deliver to her baby brother (he has a birthday coming up) and all other items on my list of things to do were accomplished. Two are worthy of narration...

1. Those pesky could not find anywhere extra camera batteries and re-chargers. Of course, I visited the local camera shop and he special ordered the things I needed. When i picked them up, I immediately unpackaged them and went to the "camera drawer" to see if I had a small bag to put them in...and what did I find there!!! Yep, you guessed it...the extra batteries and re-chargers!!! Seems as though I'd never gotten out of the house with them after all! Sometimes I am a mess!!!

2. Floyd's Invisalign trays...Yes, both Floyd and I are wearing those invisible braces. (My supply would last until we returned; Floyd's would not.) The dentist had said before we left that I just needed to call and they would order the next 10 sets for Floyd. I called...seems there were a few issues...once we worked through all that...they were concerned about whether or not the new trays would arrive before I left town on Wednesday to return to the boat. We had a plan B in the works...when a miracle occurred. As I was sitting in the dentist waiting area for my quick exam Wednesday morning, the UPS lady delivered Floyd's new trays! Crossed plan B out...and made it out of town with everything on the list!!!!

I returned Mom to Fredonia, did laundry and made it back to St Charles around 2:30pm...Ann and Bob Kallemeier were kind enough to pick me up and drive me back to the TUMBLEWEED, now in Grafton. We had a lovely dinner together that night.

Friday afternoon we were joined by Dee and Craig, friends from Wichita. They stayed through the soggy Fourth celebrations. We had such fun...but the weather was anything but cooperative. I'm sad to say the highlight of the trip was probably our journey to Wal-mart. We ate well...explored Grafton...watched fireworks...shared knowledge about boating, tows and barges...and Asian Carp...we probably consumed too much alcohol...but hey, they were on holiday.

They headed out early Tuesday morning for Wichita...and we cruised out shortly thereafter headed back toward Chicago.



No comments: